Saturday 28 February 2009

Birthday treats.

So last weekend (incase you didn't know I was twittering!) was my Thirftiest Birthday and the Faye and I went to London for the weekend. It took us about 4 hours in the little Peugot and only cost us 10 quid in diesel! Pretty good going really. I might have to write something about our car because it is the cause of allot of events in our life, Mainly because it was cheap and it breaks down, but we love it. So it was all a bit of rush and stress to get there, the Faye had a deadline for something, so I assumed she had planned a little surprise. I had no Idea what was in store and didn't really think about it too much because of the driving and getting there safe factor. Once we got to London (the Staines, massif no less.) we left the Pug at the Faye's Brothers driveway then got a train to the City. So she couldn't keep planning all of it a secret so I now knew we where going to stay in Shore Ditch. We scuttled and weaved our way with what was now Rush hour, so added stress there. Well we made it to the hotel with only the odd hic-up! and overall I quite like the drama.

The Hotel the Faye had booked us into was a new hotel venture from the owners of the cafe/ Fresh sandwich chain Pret-a-Manger.(Did a college project about pret once to do art work for the walls will put some pics at the bottom) The Hoxton Hotel is apparently 4 star has trendy restaurant and bar and Designer furniture art work and adornments everywhere. Greeted by a very friendly guy on the reception the place had a great vibe. In the lobby from left to right the lighting was a cool installation of 5 stage of eagle flight, leaving its perch, flying across the reception and then approaching another perch. Kind of like still photos of flight. (Don't know why I didn't photo that since I liked it so much think I felt it wasn't the thing to do in a "Designer Hotel" strange I don't normally need and excuse to get the Leica out. Ill do a blog on this kit I love it!) any way didn't actually have that much time as the Faye was hustling us up to the room, drop off bags and get out to a restaurant she had booked for us.


(But the Identity! I don't like it I don't like the Grey and yellow, and they use a font called Euro style unless they have very subtlety bastardized it and I cant tell! Why Euro style? its the standard future sans type face of the 90's and that's where it should stay! I have had to use this font before and I will never "choose" to use it again! Given the Brand of Pret which I think as great although some one did say communist to me the other day I all ways had it as deco with the chrome and Neville Brody fonts going on.)

So the frantic walking and navigating began again. We trotted down some funny little roads the I got a phone call from my cousin Ben "Hey Man are you coming here for a beer or what?" "Er I don't know Faye has booked us in at a restaurant what do you mean here?" I said "The strongroom" He replied then I kind of guessed what was going on, we popped out of an ally way and over the road was the Strong room bar! My cousin works at strongrooms recording studio and I had wanted to visit him there for ages, the studios has it's own Bar! Well we got there and the Faye had arranged for some friends and family to meet us and we had a wicked little night.

The Strongrooms is pretty Rock'n'Roll as the recording kit looks amazing and all set off with Jamie Reid's (designer of the Sex pistols album covers) textile and prints that adorn the walls, its really quirky. I believe Machine head had just mastered their album there so I thought that was cool. Mat showed me around and we got to get really techy although really techie for me was probably nothing compared to what Mat is used to. Then once we finished our drinks we went to eat at a wicked Diner called "The Diner" super American style food. I had a Guacamole and cheese burger and it was good. The Faye had a Chili cheese Dog, which according to sources is as original as the ones in America. Then there were also some bad ass milkshakes too! so a must for any shore ditch visitor. Finally we rounded the night of in the Reliance nice Pub type venue around the corner, before retiring to the Hoxton.

The following day we started the afternoon with a really good coffee at Monmouth (probably the best I have had in London!) and a flavour explosion sausage roll from a wicked shop in the west end near Neals yard.




did a big old walk from Bank to tower Bridge stopping off for stops at the Tate Modern and the Design Museum. I had wanted to see the Big Crack in the floor:

But when we got there:

So never mind but I was impressed with... the massive cat got to be picture of the day! Overall we had a really good weekend and made it back in one piece!

I cant wait to go back to Shore Ditch! Can anyone make some recommendations?

Pret-a-manger work from college days.



oh and check this out looks like fun. Might have to order a copy: Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment